• Advertisement
Support This Site

2000 Convertible electrical system issues

Need help with your car? Post up your questions or requests here.

2000 Convertible electrical system issues

Postby hjaynes » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:13 pm

Quick question. I have a 2000 convertible and love the way it drives. I'm curious though. Do Saabs have a bad reputation for electrical problems? This car has the worst electrical system of any car I've ever owned by far. Sometimes I just think there is a gremlin in the system or a ghost. The drivers seat will adjust itself out of the blue (I'm guessing it's returning to a memory position from the previous owner, who knows) Sometimes the dash lights will all just go out. The most prevalent problem is with the headlights. The bulbs and fuses are all new (I changed them all out) Sometimes only one headlight works. Frequently the low beams do not work at all for days or weeks at a time. (I make sure I drive my other cars at night... lol)

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Harold
hjaynes
Noobie

Re: 2000 Convertible electrical system issues

Postby StrictlySaab » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:03 am

Harold,
Overall the OG9-3 is far more reliable electronically than the NG9-3 models (03+). The couple problems you describe are common and easily repaired.

Your memory seat switch is failing allowing intermittant engagement of 1-2-3 buttons. If you are the only driver of the vehicle, simply set the seat where you like and set all three memory positions to same location. That way it wont move around on you, as all will be set the same. Otherwise, simply replace the switch. A new is somewhere around $100.

The dash lamps going out could be two things. Are you accidently hitting the "night panel" button on the SID display? Can also be a failure within the dash dimmer rheostat.

For your headlights, turn them on and wiggle the orange "lamp control" relay in the underhood electrical fuse box (driverside). Usually the solder joints crack and will cause an intermittent faults with the low or high beam lights. Your able to reflow the joints or simply replace the relay.
Strictly Saab Inc.
Melbourne, FL
P-321.432.2034
'91 900 S-PG 5spd
'06 9-3 Sport Sedan 2.0L 5spd
'99 Porsche 911 C2 Racekar 6spd
'01 Porsche 911tt 6spd
'06 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Dmax Allison 6spd
StrictlySaab
Crazy Saaber!

Postby hjaynes » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:16 am

I appreciate your answer, thank you. Regarding the dash lights, not only did the lights come on, but none of the instruments worked other than obviously the speedometer which I assume is cable controlled. That only lasted two days though.

Harold
hjaynes
Noobie

Postby StrictlySaab » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:07 pm

hjaynes wrote: not only did the lights come on, but none of the instruments worked other than obviously the speedometer which I assume is cable controlled.

Harold

Your describing "Night Panel" mode, not any problem at all. Its on the SID just below the digital display. Next time your out, press it on and off. The speedometer is electronic, last cable driven units were 1993 c900s. Suggest reading though the Night Panel function in your owners manual.
Strictly Saab Inc.
Melbourne, FL
P-321.432.2034
'91 900 S-PG 5spd
'06 9-3 Sport Sedan 2.0L 5spd
'99 Porsche 911 C2 Racekar 6spd
'01 Porsche 911tt 6spd
'06 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Dmax Allison 6spd
StrictlySaab
Crazy Saaber!

Postby TheDude » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:43 pm