• Advertisement
Advertise Here
Advertise here!

Finally a group of people who know my struggle!

Please take a moment to intorduce your self to the group by telling us what you drive and a little about yourself.

Finally a group of people who know my struggle!

Postby KnightsNick31 » Mon May 30, 2011 10:28 am

Hi everyone, I'm Nick from the Mandarin area of Jacksonville. I drive a 2003, Merlot Red, 9-3 Linear.

I'm currently attending school in Orlando at UCF but I drive up and back quite often to my home so I figured this would be a great place to get to know some people.

I am in the process of getting some mods done to make the car a little quicker and better looking so along with posting them on the saabcentral forums I'll post them here as well. I would also love to do what I can to help with any problems you guys have.

What I love about the saab forums is that everyone knows the struggles we have of making our cars our own, because it is not easy with the price tags associated with these cars. I'm tired of going to cruise in's and people ask why I havent done anything to my car yet. You guys know that the T8 is one of the most stubborn ecu's every built and thats why I love Saab people. :D

Well thanks for having an open place for florida Saab drivers. Hope to become more and more active with you guys as time rolls on.
KnightsNick31
Noobie

Re: Finally a group of people who know my struggle!

Postby GB24Hours » Tue May 31, 2011 1:19 am

Hi Nick, nice to have ya!

Keep your eyes on the board... when we do have events/gatherings, they get announced in the "Club News" section.

Looking forward to meeting you and your merlot maiden.
1990 900 Turbo SPG, red
2007 9-3 Aero Sedan, black
1986 Nissan 300ZX, red
GB24Hours
Crazy Saaber!

Postby 88SPG » Tue May 31, 2011 1:25 am

Good to meet you. You may want to track down Steve on this forum. I bet he has the contacts to score you T8 mods.
Hope to see you and many other new members at our next gathering.
97 9000 Aero - Daily
97 9000 CS - Sold
94 900 Vert - Sold
91 SPG - Sold
88 SPG -Show Car
88 SPG - 2B restored
87 900 S -Track Toy
80 900 T - Sold
74 Sonett 3 - Being parted
73 Sonett 3 - 2B restored
73 Sonett 3 - 2B restored
67 96 V4 - 2B restored
88SPG
Crazy Saaber!

Postby KnightsNick31 » Tue May 31, 2011 4:33 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome. I love these cars and can't wait to learn more and more about them.

Who is this steve fellow? :mrgreen: I would love to talk to him about some T8 mods.
KnightsNick31
Noobie

Postby metrognome » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:16 am

Hi Nick. Welcome. I'm looking forward to meeting you and your car.

You might want to poke around on here: http://forum.ecuproject.com/ In addition to hosting our forums for us, Steve Hayes is the administrator for ECU Project.
Sierra-Alpha-Alpha-Bravo
2007 9-3 • 87,000 miles
1999 9-5 SE (2005-2010)
metrognome
Crazy Saaber!

Postby saabstory » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:36 am

and I don't even know what a "T8 mod" is to begin with!! the only "modification i did to my car (2007 9-3 convertible) was add an auto-dimming rear view mirror with the compass and homelink. i got the mirror off e-bay for $150 and the dealer would have charged me $1,250 for the same exact item. yes, those numbers are correct!
saabstory
Crazy Saaber!

Postby KnightsNick31 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:17 pm

@Metrognome- Thanks for the info. I will certainly be checking in on that forum. Lot of good work is being done there it seems. That T8 suite would be real nice if we could get the tune onto the car through there. One day though. I have no doubts.

@saabstory- The T8 is the ECU that the 9-3SS/SC has from 2003+ It is a learning ECU that can change just about every aspect of the motor to keep it running the same kind of power curve all the time. I'm looking to squeeze another 75-80 hp out of my car so it takes a lot of computer working to make sure that all the new components you add to the car are accepted by the ECU. A good example of the way our cars work is like the human body. You can't just slap a new heart in there without doing some major work first. :lol:
KnightsNick31
Noobie

Postby VillageSaab » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:01 pm

Welcome to the club!

The merlot exterior color is one of my all time favorite Saab colors! :D
1999 9-3 Base, M/T Five Door ~ 140,000 Miles
1998 900 SET Convertible, Auto ~ 70,000 Miles
VillageSaab
Crazy Saaber!

Postby stevehayes01 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:48 pm

So Welcome!

So for T8 mods not a whole lot of love in that area of ECU Tuning yet....your best bet still is to work with Nick @ Genuinesaab.com

So for the 2003 9-3 Linear I would look to do all of your bolt-on stuff first before you tackle the ECU so you only have to reflash it 1 time.

Look to the following list first...IMHO

1. Open Air Intake or Drop in K&N filter (personal preference since there is no significant gain either way just better breathing)
2. Exhaust - Open it up and have a shop do a custom Cat-back for you (cheaper than getting a JT, Abbott or the like)
3. Downpipe - I would use the Genuinesaab one..... http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/prod ... cf1efdf7e8
4. Optional unless you go to a Stage 3+ is a new Front Mount Intercooler

Once all that is done then grab a stage 2 or Stage 3 ECU and you are all set.

2.0T Nordic Upgrade 9-3 SS 03-07 210hp
[93UHR210] $599.00
Software upgrade for 9-3 210hp Arc, Aero 2003-2007

Stg1 250Hp and 273FtLbs Torque (Software)

Stg2 265Hp and 284FtLbs Torque (Software, Catback Exhaust)

Stg3 275Hp and 295FtLbs Torque (Software, Complete Exhaust incl. Sportcat)

Stg4 290Hp and 310FtLbs Torque (Software, Complete Exhaust incl. Sportcat, 465cc Injectors, 16T Turbo, Intercooler)

Stg3 and above in hot climate recommend intercooler upgrade. Also Step 4 and 5 require upgraded clutch / flywheel and are for manual cars only. Aggressively/ poorly driven stage 3 might kill the clutch also. ! Upgrade hardware is not included in software price.
stevehayes01
Site Admin

Postby KnightsNick31 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:06 pm

I know exactly what you mean Steve. I did the DIY intake on SaabCentral with a custom heatshield. (decided on this bc of the drastic change in sound.) I'm still working on gathering the parts for the ECU upgrade. I currently have the green vector Injectors and front mount Intercooler waiting.

In the near future:
turbo back Exhaust (custom or other brand)
TD04 turbo upgrade
(possibly Cobalt SS Brembo caliper and EBC rotor Upgrade)

Then once I have all those sitting around I'm trying to get a stage 3 tune from JZW since after all the parts are applied, my linear will be a vector.

But thank you for the advice about the custom exhaust. I didn't think it was a good idea to get a custom exhaust because of how sensitive our car is. Do you think a custom down pipe with high flow cat would be ok? I have a friend who works in a muffler shop and I never let him touch the car bc I was worried but it is obviously a much cheaper option.

Thanks, Nick
KnightsNick31
Noobie

Postby stevehayes01 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:13 pm

So in reality our cars are not as sensitive as one would think....My OG9-3 had a MP Performance Downpipe on it (which might as well have been made by me) and my exhaust was pretty simple... cutout the center resonator and replaced the center section with 2.5" pipe (aluminized steel) that cost me $65 installed and then cut open stock muffler and gutted almost all the baffles in it. Not saying my way was the best but I was on a show string budget.

My car was making (at its best) around 320-330WHP when it was in top form on the stock TD04-15G w/6cm2 exhaust housing (9000 Aero Turbo). Ted's friend with the turbo PT cruiser can attest to how quick my car was since he got to see the back of it a few times on 9A.

Unless you plan on going for a 400+ HP motor I would say go with the a custom exhaust setup from your friend as it will save you lots of $$$$$ and I have personally seen 2 JT systems that rusted out in under 2 years so just not worth it. For the Down pipe I would normally say to go with a custom pipe but you may find that you get CEL's that way due to cheap or bad 02 bungs. So for me I still plan on adding a Genuinesaab DP on my 9-5 this summer.

On the JZW tune I have heard a few people say their EGT's are pretty high so you may want to invest in some good gauges for your car too.

Wideband A/F
EGT Probe
Boost/Vacuum

If you want more stealth then I would look here.... http://14point7.com/SLC-Pure-Plus-2.php

I gauge that can take inputs from your EGT, Electronic boost gauge and A/F probe as well as do data logging all for about $325 with all the sensors included.

Also if you are going to spend the money on the TD04 why not plan for the future and go with a 19T.... This will allow you to run in the 350WHP range with a few more mods... Fuel pump and larger injectors (bigger than the greens).. I have a set of 860CC injectors that are going in my car soon.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SAAB-AER ... 2112wt_916
stevehayes01
Site Admin

Postby KnightsNick31 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:25 pm

WOW!! That sounds like a beast of a car you have in the work!!! I can't wait to see how it runs when you have it all said and done.

I'm not looking to get a lot more than 260-280 hp out of the car. I think I'm going to go for the custom turbo back. They quoted me $200 installed all I have to do is get a cat. So I can't complain about that.

I would go with a custom tune but there is no one in our region that I know who has the ability to put a tune on my ecu.

The gauges were without a doubt something I wanted to get done. I already have a boost/vacuum gauge in the car but I never thought about the EGT gauge. I had the Wideband and oil pressure in mind though.

If you have any other ideas to get to that 260 mark, let me know. I am open to all suggestions.
KnightsNick31
Noobie

Postby KnightsNick31 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:36 pm

Also, I couldn't tell from the page but does that gauge do wideband or just narrowband AFR?
KnightsNick31
Noobie

Return to Member Introductions