• Advertisement
Advertise Here
Advertise here!

SAAB MECHANIC IN AREA

SAAB MECHANIC IN AREA

Postby rcnight » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:15 am

I'm back in Gainesville with my 2 Saabs - 89 900T convertible & 01 9.5. The 9-5 (2.3) has an oil leak problem(s) - probably at the timing chain cover. Does anyone know of a good Indie in the area that can dry up my oil leak(s)? Thanks for any suggestions?
rcnight
Noobie

Re: SAAB MECHANIC IN AREA

Postby StrictlySaab » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:14 am

Timing covers are rare to leak on the B235, its usually the headgasket or timing chain tensioner. I have only traced two timing cover leaks which require 12ish hours labor to R&R in the vehicle (Saab says to pull the engine). Lots of while your in there items like timing chain with components, balance shaft chain with components. You have to remove either the cylinder head or oil pan to get the cover off, as its sandwiched between the two. I'm about 2.5hrs from Gainesville. Would recommend finding a shop very familiar with the 235 if your going to have that extent of work done. Its not a fun nor easy job to undertake. Goodluck!
Strictly Saab Inc.
Melbourne, FL
P-321.432.2034
'91 900 S-PG 5spd
'06 9-3 Sport Sedan 2.0L 5spd
'99 Porsche 911 C2 Racekar 6spd
'01 Porsche 911tt 6spd
'06 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Dmax Allison 6spd
StrictlySaab
Crazy Saaber!

Postby Senor Don » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:31 pm

Let me add my two cents. I bought a 2002 Linear with a 178k miles and bent valves. The passenger side of the engine compartment was completely oil drenched from the radiator to the steering rack. Grime combined with dirt and sand coated the front engine cover and the serpentine belt. Even the a/c pulley was oil-soaked. I suspect most was caused by a leaking power steering pump fitting as it's inlet hose was attached with a screw clamp. However, the alternator was also drenched in engine oil deposited by the oil trap hose that was detached from the turbo intake pipe. Wipe the hose fittings at the power steering pump, and where the oil trap hose attaches to the turbo charge inlet pipe at passenger rear zof the engine compartment, with a paper towel to see which fluid leak your vehicle may have.

BTW, if you drive 2 hours south, to Winter Park, Guy or Bobby at Swede Central would be pleased to help you. They have extensive SAAB dealership experience. http://www.swedecentral.com/contact.html.

(Perhaps things have changed, but my daughter had unpleasant repair experiences with the Caddy/former SAAB dealer in Gator-ville.)

Happy SAABing!
2002 Midnight Blue Metallic Linear
1996 Citrin Beige CS
1997 Scarabe Green CS - sold 11/20/12
1995 Ruby Red CS (RIP, 01/14/2010)
Senor Don
Crazy Saaber!

Postby Senor Don » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:31 pm

Let me add my two cents. I bought a 2002 Linear with a 178k miles and bent valves. The passenger side of the engine compartment was completely oil drenched from the radiator to the steering rack. Grime combined with dirt and sand coated the front engine cover and the serpentine belt. Even the a/c pulley was oil-soaked. I suspect most was caused by a leaking power steering pump fitting as it's inlet hose was attached with a screw clamp. However, the alternator was also drenched in engine oil deposited by the oil trap hose that was detached from the turbo intake pipe. Wipe the hose fittings at the power steering pump, and where the oil trap hose attaches to the turbo charge inlet pipe at passenger rear zof the engine compartment, with a paper towel to see which fluid leak your vehicle may have.

BTW, if you drive 2 hours south, to Winter Park, Guy or Bobby at Swede Central would be pleased to help you. They have extensive SAAB dealership experience. http://www.swedecentral.com/contact.html.

(Perhaps things have changed, but my daughter had unpleasant repair experiences with the Caddy/former SAAB dealer in Gator-ville.)

Happy SAABing!
2002 Midnight Blue Metallic Linear
1996 Citrin Beige CS
1997 Scarabe Green CS - sold 11/20/12
1995 Ruby Red CS (RIP, 01/14/2010)
Senor Don
Crazy Saaber!

Return to Gainesville Area